ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Sport Aerobatics - the ideas....

From: jeffery at texas.net

Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 16:22:42 UTC

Message:

  Not that such things have been incredibly useful in the past, mostly due to
poor reader response, but would it be beneficial to place a simple questionaire
in a future issue of SA that lists possible changes and improvements to the mag
that are being considered?  It could be something as simple as a post card with
options listed, or a single page that is folded up and mailed in (postage not
included).  It would at least give some indication of what readers think about
the single most visible connection they have to IAC (at least for the vast
majority of members who do not compete).  This idea has been raised before for
other polling purposes.  I realize it would be expensive to implement and tally
results, but I think the membership should have a say in this matter.  Very few
people take the time to send a letter to the editor or to their BOD
representative about this or any other topic.  Making it as easy as checking
off choices on a post card and dropping it in the mail might get a few hundred

Jeffery Poehlmann
Austin  TX

> At 07:39 PM 2/6/2003 -0500, DSowder at aol.com wrote:
>
> >In a message dated 2/6/2003 2:21:32 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> >jeffery at texas.net writes:
> >

> >>Posting results on the website is a great idea.  Results can be
> >>disseminated much more rapidly than in SA.  But that doesn't mean you remove
> >>them from the mag.  Placing them on the web adds value.  Removing them
> >>from SA
> >>decreases value.  We should look at providing even more depth to
> >>reporting on
> >>contests, not just reporting the results.
> >

> >And Jeffery further states, I think, that articles written to summarize
> >contests, not only results but "what happened", would be of interest to us
> >all. I agree, and we have seen some excellent articles in the mag. as well
> >as postings "from the scene" of AWAC, etc. I've frequently posted results
> >from our NW contests on the exploder.
> >One thing to keep in mind is that the CD's are usually really busy during
> >a contest (duh..!), and have a right to collapse 10 minutes after the
> >banquet is over. So perhaps those of us who can take some time to take
> >notes, photos, make observations, etc. should do just that. And submit to
> >the magazine. Interesting things happen at contests!
>
> I agree with many (most) of the observations made such as Jeffery's and
> Doug's.  However, one aspect of the larger debate has been omitted.  With
> respect, we can't DO ALL the things requested or desired.  As in life, we
> have to make some choices to live within the increasingly tight financial
> constraints  we have.  So, if we DO retain the contest results in SA, then
> we will not be able to add in additional items from the 'desirables list'.
>
> Cheers
> The Open Group Conference
> Boundaryless Information Flow: Keeping IT Secure
> San Francisco, CA, USA, 3-7th February
> http://www.opengroup.org/sfo2003
> Graham Bird                                       The Open Group
> Vice President, Marketing          44 Montgomery St #960
>                                                                 San Francisco
>                                                     CA 94104-4704, USA
> g.bird at opengroup.org            http://www.opengroup.org
>
> Tel  +1 (415) 374 8280 Xt 229      Fax +1 (240) 214-1063
> Cell +1 (415) 999 3106              GSM: +44  771 863 9088

If you have aerobatics related information that you would like to make available, please contact me at the email address below.

Last Update: Fri May 4 13:13:07 2012

© Dr. Günther Eichhorn
Springer 233 Spring Street New York, NY 10013 USA, Email Guenther Eichhorn