ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Why We're Punished

From: John Cornwell <jwcornwell at usa.net>

Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 22:59:13 UTC

Message:

  Yes they got through the first checkpoint and got into the country.  Maybe a
second checkpoint would keep them out of the cockpit.  Hijacking is just one
way to create terror.  There are many, many others.

"Andy Cooper" <andyc at gis.net> wrote:
You're missing the point: these people should not have gained entry to
the country in the first instance. The fact that they did demonstrates that
the background checks being done upon visa application and at immigration
checkpoints are not good enough. Secondly, those intent on avoiding
these kinds of checks demonstrably can do so easily. Flight schools doing
background checks does not change this fact, and is just a band-aid to
appease public opinion.

Background checks on pilots, potential students, whatever, do not
address the root cause of the problem either: hijacking is what started
the chain of events. Prevent the hijacking, and prevent the event. Congress
is better served by focusing on this than on attempting to institute
background checks in idiotic places.